|Moroccan Spice Braised Chicken with Almonds
||[Oct. 9th, 2004|10:40 pm]
Open Live Journal Cookbook
morland and I had a romantic meal in last night ;) and this chicken recipe really was the best!
Moroccan Spice Braised Chicken with Almonds
- 3 1/2 pounds chicken parts
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion,halved, and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric
- ¾ pint of chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup crushed Almonds
1.Coat chicken with flour. Heat oil in a large deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add half of the chicken; brown about 5 minutes per side. Remove from skillet. Repeat browning step with remaining chicken, adding onion. Return all chicken to skillet.
2. Combine cinnamon, cumin, ginger, and turmeric in a small bowl; add to chicken. Stir to evenly coat chicken and onions with spices; sauté 1-2 minutes.
3. Stir in broth, lemon juice and salt; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in almonds and cook, covered, for 20 minutes. Uncover and simmer another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally
This recipe was found on an Egyptian recipe website, and has been modified to suit our tastes, as it originally contained dates too, but we are not so keen on them :)